Is your AdWords budget limited? Are you in dire need of new ways to drive more leads and sales to your website from Google search text ads? Then, AdWords remarketing lists for search ads is exactly what you need.
What is RLSA in AdWords?
Remarketing lists for search ads or RLSA enables those who use AdWords to target their past visitors by means of search network text ads. Besides, being a more complicated aiming method, RLSAs are more effective in driving leads & sales from people who have entered your website before but didn’t finish the conversion process.
Why is RLSA Google AdWords awesome?
RLSAs let you drive better targeted leads and sales via paid search allowing visibility growth among people who already know you, your brand as well as your products and services. Use them well and they will help you grow your conversion rates and get more ad spend and investment return.
How to create a remarketing list?
Before you can start using RLSAs, you need to have at least 1,000 previous visitors in a Remarketing list. But don’t be scared by the number. These visitors can be from any traffic source and not just PPC. You can check your Google Analytics data to find out how long it will take you to get this number of unique visitors.
RLSA best practices/features:
- Think well when bidding on competitor terms and try to be savvy. Bidding on your competitors’ brand and related terms can be risky. Here’s how it goes with RLSAs: you can only bid on and display ads to users that have already visited your website. The benefit is that these users already know you, but for some reason are considering other options, so the conversion isn’t complete. RLSAs will remind those users about your offers as they search Google.
- You will be able to exclude visitors who have already made a purchase. As a rule, once a visitor has bought from you, there is no need to keep advertising your product or service to them. Here’s an example: say a customer has just acquired a new smartphone and a two-year contract, so it makes no sense to continue bombarding them with ads promoting similar smartphones. RLSAs will help you exclude previously converted visitors from your list. This means you will save on ads with irrelevant messages. It’s much smarter to target them with ads including more appropriate messages, like up-selling, for instance.
- Use RLSAs to up-sell to your customers. You already know how to create a remarketing list. The great thing about it is that you can create a remarketing list of your loyal audience and direct them to your site using text search ads with messages which help trigger up-selling with RLSAs. You have already won customers’ trust by selling them quality products. So, they will consider you first when they need something else, like a case or a pair of earphones for that smartphone they got from you earlier. The takeaway is that RLSAs make this process easier, so target your ads with messages promoting these relevant products. And remember that you’re targeting users who are more likely to generate a higher conversion rate.
- If your budget is tight, you have got to make sure that it’s used to its full potential. It can be challenging for a marketing manager to convince a business to make investments in AdWords advertising, especially when it’s a road you don’t have a map for. If your budget is too small to generate a reasonable return on your advertising expenses, RLSA Google AdWords can help here.
When you are aiming at users who have already visited your website, you’re focusing on quality instead of quantity in terms of leads. This means your ads will be on screen for longer periods of time during the day, which will potentially get you more clicks.
How to create an RLSA campaign & implement it?
Make sure that the AdWords remarketing code is on your website prior to sweeping away RLSAs.
When the list is created, it needs to be matched with an existing search network campaign. Below you will find a quick step by step guide on how to add your remarketing list to Ad Groups and start running RLSAs:
- Choose an Ad Group within an existing Search Network campaign and click the “Audiences” at the top menu.
- Select +Remarketing and then pick your freshly created remarketing list.
- Select Ad Targeting in the drop down under Targeting, then choose Interests & Remarketing in the next window.
- Now you can click the arrow next to your bank of remarketing lists to add them to your current Ad Group.
- Please note that you have the option to set as Target & Bid or Bid Only before clicking Save at the bottom. If you want your ads to only be shown to those who are on your list, select Target & Bid. If you select Bid Only, the system will be targeting everybody and not just the people on your remarketing list. If you choose this option, I advise setting bid adjustments on your remarketing audience to set a higher bid for better ad visibility to those who have already visited your site.
We hope that you’ve learned something new about remarketing strategies and will use this knowledge to your advantage in the future.
If you have any more Google AdWords search remarketing tips/thoughts/questions/suggestions, please leave them in the comments.